Kontos Databases (KDB) is a proudly South African software company that was established in 2006.
Our core purpose is to help businesses capture, organise, and control access to their data and documents.
We achieve this by providing custom-built data management solutions over the internet, and we have devoted the last 16 years to developing and refining an online database platform that accomplishes this in the most affordable way.
Our formula for success is simple: We do not charge up front.
- We will collaborate with you for free
- To design a working database prototype that adds measurable value to your organisation
- And we will only bill you for the database if you are happy to continue using it
In other words we will give you a tangible demonstration of how our custom-built data management solutions can help streamline your day-to-day operations, without you having to take on any risk.
This has been our unique approach with new customers ever since our inception 16 years ago, and it is key to how we ensure that our solutions consistently add value.
Our database platform is securely accessible from any device with a web browser and an internet connection - including desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and mobile phones.
And unlike off-the-shelf software packages with their one-size-fits-all approach, our data management solutions are tailored to our customer's exact needs.
As a customer of KDB, you will enjoy access to a tailor-made database with the following features:
- Fast-loading data tables that support all value types and formats
- A simple and intuitive data-capturing interface (minimal training required)
- Real-time input validation (to ensure perfect quality data is captured)
- The ability to link data tables (and thus eliminate double-capturing of data)
- Easy integration with leading BI tools (such as Power BI, Tableau, and others)
- Document storage and retrieval (including PDFs, images, and audio clips)
- Configurable user access privileges (with granular row-level and column-level control)
- Detailed audit trail of all user activity (tracking who did what and when)
- Daily snapshot backups of data (with the last 30 days of backups on hot standby)
- High availability (using a distributed cluster of servers with geographic failover)
- No vendor lock-in (all captured data can be exported securely for free)
- Built-in POPI and GDPR compliance (SOC 2 ISAE 3000 ready)
Our service includes expert support, with rapid response times across all African and European time zones.
Kontos Databases (KDB) was started by University of Cape Town computer science graduate KT Kontos out of his student dorm room at JE de Villiers House in the winter of 2006.
Cloud Computing was still in its infancy back then, and most businesses were spending significant sums on enterprise software systems as well as the hardware infrastructure required to run these systems.
It was during this time that KDB carved out its niche as an early Cloud pioneer by providing tailored databases over the internet for an affordable monthly fee and at no up-front cost.
16 years later, we are leaders in the field of custom-built data management solutions, and we continue to use our old-fashioned approach of not charging up-front to steadily grow our business.
Intern Data Engineer
If you are a student that is currently reading towards a degree in Computer Science and / or Mathematics, and you are interested in pursuing a part-time Data Engineering internship at KDB, please contact us for more details on how the internship is structured (and on how to apply).
Junior Data Engineer
This position is geared for recent (or soon to be) graduates in Computer Science and / or Mathematics*.
As a Junior Data Engineer at KDB, your primary responsibility will be to design, develop, and take ownership of customer databases and automated data pipelines. This will entail fostering relationships with customers, understanding their data needs, and building optimal data structures that best suit their operations.
Secondary responsibilities will include the monitoring of our end-to-end networking infrastructure and database server clusters to ensure high availability and maximum throughput.
On-the-job learning is prioritised, but applicants with experience in the following will be shown preference:
- PostgreSQL/MySQL internals (including configuring and maintaining replication)
- Bash scripting, cron jobs, and general Linux server maintenance (Debian/Ubuntu)
- Demonstrable programming and problem solving experience in C / Python / Rust
Remuneration: R240k-R360k per annum (negotiable based on experience and academic record).
* Applications without a full academic transcript will not be considered.
Senior Data Engineer
Due to the vast amounts of customer data that we handle, trust is a top priority for us. In light of this we are very careful about who we hire, and thus prefer to appoint senior candidates and contractors directly through our own personal networks. That said, if you have 10+ years of experience as a Data Engineer, and are looking for a change of scenery, please contact us. Remuneration is negotiable based on experience.
Please note: We do not deal with recruitment agencies.